Weight Loss Ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tarte Aux Pommes- Day 1 Culinary School

All I can say is wow... I left culinary school last night in a whirlwind. When Jason asked me how it went, I'm pretty sure I looked at him and said, "oh my goodness". It felt like Iron Chef America. I have never sweated so much while baking in all of my life.

I have seven classmates, most of which are home bakers like myself. My chef instructor is French. At first, I had to get used to his accent, but as the night went on, I understood more and more what he said. It reminded me of high school French class. My chef instructor is very funny, which is nice. He helped calm some of my nerves.

Everything is fast, it seems like. The chef would give a demo and then give us a time frame in which to do it ourselves. We fell behind a lot.

I know things will get better with the time limits, though. One of the hardest things this time was still finding my way around my enormous tool kit as well as the kitchen, so that I had everything I needed. That took up a good chunk of my time. Also, scaling can take a while, but I know that I should get better at that once I learn approximate amounts for everything. It will take some time, but soon the things that held me up the most, won't be as much of an issue. That is good considering last night was "easy". Everything we do from now on will be more complex.

All in all, I do feel like I learned a lot last night. I even had dreams of the kitchen. Now, I just need to pray for confidence and fast feet. :-) Below, is a picture of our assignment from last night. It is a French apple tart. Looks nice, don't you think?

Tarte Aux Pommes

No comments: