Weight Loss Ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 17- Culinary School

Last night we only made one dessert: a croquembouche. Croquembouches are a traditional French dessert served at weddings and baptisms. They are also very difficult to make. Our Chef said he had no expectations for us. He actually said mine was very good for a first try. That made me happy. The top part of mine looked off to me and he pointed out what to do to fix the problem, so next time I know.

I took pictures of the process, so I could show you what I did:


Pate a Choux: piped and baked.

Puffs are dipped 3/4 of the way in caramel and filled with pastry cream.

Start to assemble cream puffs in a round. Cream puffs are attached with caramel.

Cream puffs are assembled into a pyramid shape. I am missing one row of 3 puffs near the top. I went from 5 to 2 and that is why it looks funny. I went skinny too soon. I'm really happy about the bottom though.

Decorate! This is my finished product. I put Happy Birthday on it for Maddie's 2nd birthday today. Later, I realized she wouldn't be able to have any (there is rum in the pastry cream) so I sent it to work with Jason.

This is the croquembouche Chef made for our demo.

This is Chef's finished croquembouche.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with you! I've heard how hard those are to make, and yours looks amazing! Mine would have looked much worse. I love reading about your culinary school adventures. Keep up the great work!

Kim Robbie