Tonight seemed really long. I was so ready to leave by the end of it. We didn't have enough baking to do to keep the night full, so we had to practice piping and writing with chocolate. I really dislike piping and writing with chocolate. I'm really bad at it. I need to practice, though. Maybe if I get better I will like it... Who knows? After baking and piping, we had a lecture on meringue. Tonight we made a Swiss meringue. There are 3 different types of meringue: French, Swiss and Italian. The French is the least stable while the Italian is the most stable. The Swiss is somewhere in the middle. The Swiss and French meringue have the same ingredients, the difference is how they are prepared. The Swiss meringue is cooked over a water bath until it reaches 130F/55C before it is whipped to a stiff peak. The French is not cooked, only whipped. The Italian meringue adds an ingredient: syrup, and it is cooked until the "soft ball" stage which is anywhere from 238F/114C and higher.
Now that you have had a lesson on meringue, here is what we baked tonight:
Tarte aux Noix (Nut Tart)
Tartlettes au Citron (Lemon Tartlets)

No comments:
Post a Comment